Thursday, February 27, 2014

February Monthly Blog Post

So this month, I was able to conduct my 3rd interview with Nancy Mintie, founder of Uncommon Good. I think that this has been my most insightful and useful interview to date. Nancy explicitly talked about the non-profit struggle with big business and lack of funding. She also presented her ideas on how to make it better. She talked about how the non-profit model is seriously flawed and that the best way to bring about social change is by investing in socially-conscious businesses, which basically take all the altruistic/humanitarian aspects of non-profits and meld them with revenue-earning practices. This means that the business can make enough money to fund it's good-willed ventures instead of struggling to fund raise and squeeze money out of conservative, unwilling foundations. Her answers reassured me that I'm on the right path because all of what she said coincided with the research I've done.

So I just want to comment on the first advisory house meeting we've had...
I found this time to be very poorly spent. I already know what articles I have, which help me with what, and of which I need to find more of. These meetings are supposed to be for our benefit. I feel like our time would be better spent doing research on the I pads or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment