Monday, January 6, 2014

Senior Project, The Holiday


  1. Over the break, amid the chaos of the holidays, I wasn't able to go into the office to volunteer because the staff was out on break for most of the break, since their schedule closely follows that of the students who are part of the program. I was, however, able to conduct some research online, and found a couple interesting facts about non-profit organizations.
  2. The most important thing I learned from my research was that the concept of non-profit work has been around for far longer than most people think. 90% of the non-profit organizations still around today were founded before 1950. I find this to be important because it demonstrates just how successful a non-profit organization can be if properly managed. My goal is to find out what it takes to sustain a non-profit for as long as those found in that 90%. My source was a paper written by American author Peter Dobkin Hall. I found it on a Harvard sponsored website.
  3. If I were going to do a 10 question interview, which I'm sure we'll have to do at some point, I would interview Nancy Mintie, the director and founder of Uncommon Good, the non-profit organization at which I'm volunteering. She'd best be able to answer my questions because she's the founder. She has years of experience and the organization has thrived, meaning that the goal she intended the organization to have has been well supported. She obviously knows what she's doing, which is why I choose her as my most viable interview candidate

No comments:

Post a Comment